Chess Tournament Administration Program
Vega is a program for the administration of a chess tournament.
It has been organized in order to reproduce as close as possible to the tasks of the arbiter during a tournament:
1. Registration of the players;
2. Perform the pairing of next round;
3. Insert the results of the current round;
4. Prepare the cross table and other ranking lists.
Vega has been designed to be very intuitive, and easy to use. If you are an arbiter with a little experience in chess pairing program you should be able to use it without to read the user manual.
It uses the approach WYSIWYC (What You See Is What You Can) by which you have not to fight with menu, buttons and hided options.
Vega has a number of unique features that make it the natural choice for the chess arbiter:
- it is the only program able to run under Linux (freeware) and Windows thanks to an advanced crossplatform library;
- it has been endorsed two times by FIDE (Dubov system in Torino 2006, Dutch system in Istambul 2012). The Dutch system is provided by the pairing engine JaVaFo made by the FIDE Arbiter Roberto Ricca. Currently JaVaFo is the state of art of the Dutch system and you can use it in Vega for FREE!
- it has all FIDE swiss systems for individual tournament;
- because JaVaFo is FREE, Vega can maintain the lowest cost among similar programs with no upgrade cost.
Further Features of Vega:
- Registration up to 999 players and evaluation of 20 rounds for swiss system;
- Round Robin system up to 24 players;
- Automatic pairing due to all FIDE swiss system (Dubov, Lim and Dutch variant), Swiss based on Buchholz (Vega), swiss USCF, Amalfi, single and double Round Robin;
- Manual pairing;
- Taking care of odd numbers of players;
- Evaluation of results (1-0, 1/2, 0-1, 0-0, etc...) and non standard results (0-1/2, etc...);
- Administration of the cross-table;
- Possibility of changing data (results, names, ratings etc.);
- Taking care of withdrawals and re-entries;
- Entry of players arriving late during the tournament;
- Output of pairing lists, reports, cross-tables, lists of players standing, etc...;
- Elegant tournament web site generation and its FTP to your own site;
- Rating report to FIDE, USCF (3 dbf files), ECF, DZW, NZCF, FEDA, ...
- Import data from any formatted (fixed lenght) database (i.e. FIDE) and CSV file as well;
- Non standard score: 0-1-3, 0-2-5;
- Special module to improve the colors after the natural pairing;
- Accelerated rounds up to 3 groups;
- prize distribution with Hort system;
- Export an entire tournament with players in a given range;
- move a given player in another tournament;
- search FIDE norm and print certificate;
Vega that you can download from this site is full functional and can be freely used to administer tournament with not more than 30 players. To run large tournament please contact the author.
COMING SOON: Orion, a new super program to run without pain huge team tournament. Try it without limitation for free (it comes in a rar archive that you need to extract whatever you want). The documentation is included. Feel free to write me for comments and suggestions.
The program is under tests and new versions are prepared as new feedbacks arrive. If you want to contribute to the test and be notified when upgrade are available please write me.
"What I really like is that your program enforces the rules for pairings but allows you to override them when necessary. You are pretty much able to duplicate real world tournament problems with this software."
Steve Coladonato (USA)